Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Algorithmic Trading Forum

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
algo trading is to blame for volatility (Read 10228 times)
qroach

London
algo trading is to blame for volatility
12/06/08 at 11:53:24

IP Logged
Co0olCat
Forum Moderator

Re: algo trading is to blame for volatility
Reply #1 - 12/19/08 at 00:41:20

Why I am not surprised... It looks like 1987 again. Time-machine works!!!

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. But today is a gift, and that is why it's called the present."
WWW timuryusupov   IP Logged
Algo Designer
Forum Administrator

Nihil desperandum

Sydney
Reply #2 - 12/22/08 at 00:10:15

Not unexpected. This is yet another avenue for highly adaptive trading models that take advantage of the volatility spikes caused by algorithms with short-term memory and/or optimised for the most recent data.

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..."
  IP Logged
statstrader

I like this forum!

Reply #3 - 01/23/09 at 01:04:17

I would be curious to read a study on how volatility changed with respect to the simultaneous removal of short term uptick rule and trading collar 80a.  Is it just a coincidence that a 1987 style 10+sigma event occurred just after the change?  
Interesting how their "studies" showed absolutely no possible volatility impact would result from changes in the rules.  

Don't want to become a board cynic here, but certainly that was some coincidence.  Although, admittedly there were signs of increased volatility even before that; it's just as if the rules were changed to exasperate the break in volatility bands right before they approached the cliff's edge.
Kind of like throwing grease on a fire right as it begins to lose control.

IP Logged
willc

I like this forum!

Reply #4 - 02/14/10 at 02:45:53

In my perspective, volatility could be a good thing or a bad thing. It also drives the markets for many people who are attempting to invest and make a profit. It also allows many companies that are available for investing to be more competitive and try to drive their stock prices up.

If the market was always stable, I think there would be more of an issue. Volatility basically allows people who are trading the markets to enter and exit with little limitation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print