Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Algorithmic Trading Forum

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Entry into Algo Trading (Read 8796 times)
inertia

I like this forum!

Entry into Algo Trading
07/05/08 at 15:04:00

I am considering moving into Algo Trading. What is the skill set I should build up to increase my chances ? I am already a strong developer with experience in technology, have a strong mathematical background from my education and front office experience as a desk strat.

So far job ads seemed to suggest time series modelling and econometrics. Anything else thats crucial for the entry ?

IP Logged
Maltamir

I like this forum !

Paris
Re: Entry into Algo Trading
Reply #1 - 07/10/08 at 13:22:24

Yes,

You should have good knowledge of brokers / stock market API, and a long experience dealing with them to fully understand arbitrage oportunities, market data and financial products they offer.

Execution problems, liquidity and sometimes regulation take un important place during the trading days.

You also need to get some knowledge of hedging and market risk management.

For the jobs opportunities I 've seen Senior Quant trader positions at 1 to 2M$ in hedge fund industry (if you want to work for others, but at this point you'd better build your own fund no?).

IP Logged
inertia

I like this forum!

Reply #2 - 07/10/08 at 16:32:11

Sounds like well above my level of experience, with only 1 year Front office experience. Is that really entry level ?

IP Logged
Maltamir

I like this forum !

Paris
Reply #3 - 07/11/08 at 13:38:39

To be selected you need to be able to discuss strategies and market data and to be used to financial trading concepts, showing you 've already tested some strategies, tryed to hedge risk... It's a lot of work I know. Focus yourself on a unique strategy (Index arbitrage for example) and try to build it, find bibliography, reasearch articles and write one on your own. Try to meet people from this business, go to conferences. That can make the difference !

Best whishes ...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print