Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Algorithmic Trading Forum

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Poll Poll
Question: I like to use... C# because...

We already using it  
  5 (15.1%)
It is free  
  7 (21.2%)
It has well developed APIs  
  5 (15.1%)
It has graphics support  
  5 (15.1%)
It is intuitive and user friendly  
  5 (15.1%)
I cannot explain, but I like it  
  1 (3%)
It is not listed here...  
  3 (9%)
It provides interoperability  
  2 (6%)

Total votes: 33
« Last Modified by: Co0olCat on: 06/25/08 at 18:33:29 »

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I like to use C# because... (Read 17095 times)
Co0olCat
Forum Moderator

I like to use C# because...
06/25/08 at 17:32:03

Tell us why do you like C#...

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. But today is a gift, and that is why it's called the present."
WWW timuryusupov   IP Logged
Qingjun

I like this forum!

Re: I like to use C# because...
Reply #1 - 06/25/08 at 18:09:41

You didn't list the most important reason: .Net provides better interoperability.
For example, it is easy to call legacy C/C++ libraries, or dynamically linked libraries, even on Unix platform with Mono.

IP Logged
Co0olCat
Forum Moderator

Reply #2 - 06/25/08 at 18:32:03

Qingjun wrote on 06/25/08 at 18:09:41:
You didn't list the most important reason: .Net provides better interoperability.
For example, it is easy to call legacy C/C++ libraries, or dynamically linked libraries, even on Unix platform with Mono.

Thank you for your comment. It is already there.

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. But today is a gift, and that is why it's called the present."
WWW timuryusupov   IP Logged
Algo Designer
Forum Administrator

Nihil desperandum

Sydney
Reply #3 - 06/27/08 at 05:52:28

C# has gained a lot of strength in desktop technologies, but would one really want to implement a scalable strategy or order management server in this language? Would Java or C/C++ be more acceptable in that case?

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..."
  IP Logged
Qingjun

I like this forum!

Reply #4 - 07/01/08 at 02:37:12

Algo Designer wrote on 06/27/08 at 05:52:28:
C# has gained a lot of strength in desktop technologies, but would one really want to implement a scalable strategy or order management server in this language? Would Java or C/C++ be more acceptable in that case?

Well, check out my system. I'm confident that it beats other order management servers.
Do you have doubt about reliability of Windows or performance of C#? Or is there any other problem?

IP Logged
Algo Designer
Forum Administrator

Nihil desperandum

Sydney
Reply #5 - 07/01/08 at 15:09:31

Qingjun wrote on 07/01/08 at 02:37:12:
Algo Designer wrote on 06/27/08 at 05:52:28:

Well, check out my system. I'm confident that it beats other order management servers.
Do you have doubt about reliability of Windows or performance of C#? Or is there any other problem?

I liked your website and will definitely test your system.

So far as the operating system is concerned on the server side, my choice would naturally be Unix or Linux.

In terms of relative performance of your system, the figures you have mentioned are really good, but I would be careful about other order management systems (OMS). There are very powerful platforms out there. A number of top investment banks have been investing heavily in both hardware and software infrastructure in this area. Some achieved very impressive results.

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..."
  IP Logged
Qingjun

I like this forum!

Reply #6 - 07/06/08 at 22:38:10

Quote:
I liked your website and will definitely test your system.

So far as the operating system is concerned on the server side, my choice would naturally be Unix or Linux.

In terms of relative performance of your system, the figures you have mentioned are really good, but I would be careful about other order management systems (OMS). There are very powerful platforms out there. A number of top investment banks have been investing heavily in both hardware and software infrastructure in this area. Some achieved very impressive results.

Thanks for your comment. So far as the operating system is concerned on the server side, I'm like a total technology sleeper. I would go with the best solution that fits my requirement. So far I didn't find anything wrong with Windows as far as performance and usability is concerned.

I hate to use extreme words in my product description. As a matter of fact the performance number I mentioned is very conservative. It is the benchmark I did on my ThinkPad X61T laptop with a 1.6GHz Dual Core processor, 4GB memory and one 5400RPM hard drive. It's a pretty good laptop but certainly not a good performer.

On a $30,000 server with 16 cores and 256GB memory. Order management with constant rate of over 20,000 FIX messages/second and over 200 million intra-day messages capacity can be guaranteed with my system.

I don't know too much about other top investment banks. But I worked for Bear Stearns for over 6 years. I certainly know how they have been doing.

IP Logged
Z

Reality is not your
friend.

London
Reply #7 - 07/31/08 at 06:44:09

Qingjun... very impressive numbers.

I am wondering, what persistence mechanisms you use that support writing 20,000 messages/sec.

« Last Edit: 07/31/08 at 09:16:20 by Algo Designer »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print