Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Algorithmic Trading Forum

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Poll Poll
Question: I like to use... Java because...

We already using it  
  8 (15.6%)
It is free  
  11 (21.5%)
It has well developed APIs  
  12 (23.5%)
It has graphics support  
  3 (5.8%)
It is intuitive and user friendly  
  9 (17.6%)
I cannot explain, but I like it  
  0 (0%)
It is not listed here...  
  3 (5.8%)
It provides interoperability  
  5 (9.8%)

Total votes: 51
« Last Modified by: Co0olCat on: 06/25/08 at 18:34:03 »

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I like to use... Java because... (Read 16980 times)
Co0olCat
Forum Moderator

I like to use... Java because...
06/25/08 at 15:25:24

Tell us why do you like Java...

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. But today is a gift, and that is why it's called the present."
WWW timuryusupov   IP Logged
Z

Reality is not your
friend.

London
Re: I like to use... Java because...
Reply #1 - 06/25/08 at 15:31:51

I like java. But not for any of the mentioned reasons! Smiley

IP Logged
Co0olCat
Forum Moderator

Reply #2 - 06/25/08 at 15:33:04

Z wrote on 06/25/08 at 15:31:51:
I like java. But not for any of the mentioned reasons! Smiley

Tell me why and we will add it as a choice...

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. But today is a gift, and that is why it's called the present."
WWW timuryusupov   IP Logged
Algo Designer
Forum Administrator

Nihil desperandum

Sydney
Reply #3 - 06/25/08 at 15:35:08

How can I tick off all the items at the same time and a dozen more? Smiley

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..."
  IP Logged
Maltamir

I like this forum !

Paris
Reply #4 - 07/01/08 at 16:32:54

Someone knows about  Algo design patern in java ?

IP Logged
Abyd Adhami

I like this forum!

UK
Reply #5 - 07/08/08 at 19:52:54

Algo design patterns in Java in general can be summarised to have the following features:

- An algorithm container which contains a a unified interface for all algorithms in it to use and access.
- The container typically uses listeners (Observer pattern) for each algorithm to "subscribe/unsubscribe" to market data feeds.
- The container will also have a unified interface to be implemented by each algorithim for order management tasks (e.g. add order, cancel order etc) as well as execution feedback listener.
- Each algorithm would implement the container interface and be made up for a number of "logic" classes. I see many algorithms that are divided so that there is a clear separation of tasks for each "logic" class. E.g:

• A "MonitorLogic" class which monitors market data, order trade sizes etc.
  • A "SlicerLogic" class which decides how to break-up an order to trade (esspecailly in an Algorithmic Execution system)
  • A "PlacementLogic" class which decides at what price to place each order slice and how to execute it, e.g. to execute as a Limit or Market.

I am currently developing some algorithims as part of my research in Algorithmic and Order Execution Systems. These are all developed in pure Java. I shall be documenting more on this in the near future.

Abyd

IP Logged
StatEdges

Always a student!

Reply #6 - 01/02/09 at 13:48:00

How many people actually use Java?

I've heard that some people (e.g. Lehman (RIP) FX Quant traders) use Java mainly because it is faster to develop in, and easier to create robust code (compared to C/C++), and the performance of running the compiled bytecode on JVMs these days is comparable to C++ (unless the C++ has been highly optimised).

I'm guessing that for low-latency systems, Java is not an option.

IP Logged
Algo Designer
Forum Administrator

Nihil desperandum

Sydney
Reply #7 - 01/04/09 at 23:59:31

Java is a great choice for low-latency systems as well, but you need experienced developers who know what they are doing.

IP Logged
qroach

London
Reply #8 - 01/05/09 at 11:27:38

But isn't all that required for low-latency efficient socket-communication class? (well, of course, unless serious numerical computations are also involved that can potentially be parallelized on a grid)

IP Logged
Algo Designer
Forum Administrator

Nihil desperandum

Sydney
Reply #9 - 01/14/09 at 00:17:47

qroach wrote on 01/05/09 at 11:27:38:
But isn't all that required for low-latency efficient socket-communication class? (well, of course, unless serious numerical computations are also involved that can potentially be parallelized on a grid)

An efficient socket communication class can be written in Java and be no slower than that implemented in C++, but this is still a very small part of the problem. One needs a decent middleware or for inter-process communication, persistence and high-availability (HA) model, memory model... The list goes on.

That's not to say that small-scale projects cannot get away with Excel along with a few custom plugins Smiley

IP Logged
PhD Student AT

I like this forum!

Reply #10 - 03/15/09 at 17:23:49

I have just started my PhD in AT, with EEE background Undecided. Can some one show an example of trading algo? If you wanted to work with FX data, which method would be the best(Maths, programming,machine learning.etc) in order to start from beginning and develop a trading algo.
Cheers.

IP Logged
willc

I like this forum!

Reply #11 - 11/11/09 at 13:40:42

Another reason why someone may choose Java over other languages is because of the Java Virtual Machine which allows the program to be able to run on any platform as long as they have JRE. Programmers don't have to try to try and deploy different versions of the program for different operating systems. That is one major reason I like Java.

IP Logged
Areebah Albert Johnson

I like this forum!

USA
Reply #12 - 06/16/11 at 11:54:37

I like JAVA bcz it offers a number of advantages to developers.

Java is simple: Java was designed to be easy to use and is therefore easy to write, compile, debug, and learn than other programming languages. The reason that why Java is much simpler than C++ is because Java uses automatic memory allocation and garbage collection where else C++ requires the programmer to allocate memory and to collect garbage.
Java is object-oriented: Java is object-oriented because programming in Java is centered on creating objects, manipulating objects, and making objects work together. This allows you to create modular programs and reusable code.
Java is platform-independent: One of the most significant advantages of Java is its ability to move easily from one computer system to another.
The ability to run the same program on many different systems is crucial to World Wide Web software, and Java succeeds at this by being platform-independent at both the source and binary levels.
Java is distributed: Distributed computing involves several computers on a network working together. Java is designed to make distributed computing easy with the networking capability that is inherently integrated into it.
Java is interpreted: An interpreter is needed in order to run Java programs. The programs are compiled into Java Virtual Machine code called bytecode.
The bytecode is machine independent and is able to run on any machine that has a Java interpreter. With Java, the program need only be compiled once, and the bytecode generated by the Java compiler can run on any platform.
Java is secure: Java is one of the first programming languages to consider security as part of its design.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print